Home is now behind you. The world is ahead.
DELETED CLIPS FROM THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY.
Some things in this video that make it worth watching:
- Legolas and Arwen saying goodbye to each other as the Fellowship leaves Rivendell, by awkwardly touching each other’s faces.
- Homesick (heartbreaking) Merry and Pippin.
- Aragorn angsting at Gandalf, over whether Sauron can really be defeated.
- Shot of some orcs about to attack Lothlorien.
- Wounded Merry being hugged by Pippin in the middle of a battlefield.
- Oh look, a really fucking big army of orcs.
- A two-second shot of young Aragorn and Arwen being adorable in Lothlorien, where they first met.
- Eomer being sexy as fuck (and kind of confused-looking? Or maybe that’s just his face), riding through a forest somewhere.
- Legolas walking through a forest, which is not interesting unless you know this is the epilogue, and it’s supposed to be Ithilien.
But then where’s his dwarf?
- “If we do not trust to the strength of men, then we trust to the victory of Sauron.”
- Eowyn. Is fucking awesome. And fights orcs in the caves under Helm’s Deep.
- Oh yeah, you know that Aragorn angstiness earlier, about Sauron? Turns out that in the original cut, that wasn’t a troll he was fighting at the gates of Mordor. It was literally Sauron. In the glowing, heavily-armored flesh.
- Legolas being repetitive (of course).
- Some Hobbits in suspenders.
- Aragorn doing a L’Oreal commercial in the snow.
- More stuff from the Council of Elrond. Apparently Sauron forged the Ring with some of his own blood inside it. Ew.
- Elrond does the English version of the “One Ring to Rule them All” rhyme. Yikes.
- Galadriel’s only appearance in the video, being ethereal as shit.
- Arwen in her Helm’s Deep costume and hairdo. I’m so glad that never actually became a thing.
- Oh wait I lied. Galadriel being even more ethereal. I didn’t think it was possible.
- Eeew. Holy shit. Faramir’s vision of Frodo becoming a creature like Gollum.
- Gimli’s epilogue scene! His magnifying glass reminds me of Balin.
- Eowyn being a motherfucking badass, orc-killing and yelling at the other women to run.
- Aragorn getting his ass personally kicked by Sauron.
- Aaaand a perfect ending: Some more Shieldmaiden kickassery by Eowyn.
I do believe Legolas is walking through Lothlórien (pay attention at the Mallorn) and not Ithilien. Arwen first met Aragorn in Rivendell and not in Lothlórien (though she fell in love with him at the latter, and perhaps the scene was shot at Cerin Amroth). And anyway, I should stop being such a pain.
How did I not know this. Will my life ever be the same?
Aranami shawl in greens (full size) on Flickr.
I knew the moment I saw Olga post this shawl that I wanted to knit it. I love the color waves, the modularity, and, of course, the name: Aranami. Olga and I have been friends for a long time, and this is the first design of hers I’ve had the availability to knit (though I love them all). Her design aesthetic is so clean and modern, and very Japanese, all things which I hold dear to my heart.
I loved knitting all the little triangles of this shawl and seeing them turn into waves upon blocking. I loved that I could pick up the shawl at any time and just work on a piece of it, not having to worry about where I was in the pattern. Each time a section was finished I had a deep sense of satisfaction.
I will definitely be knitting another of these in a different yarn! I can’t wait to find a new yarn to squeeze and colors to audition. This pattern is back in the queue!
OMG. I can’t believe I only found out about her designs last week. So beautiful.